Today I moved closer to checking off #37 on my list. I canned pickled beets and applesauce! I am extremely proud right now. Next stop jelly!
However....the camera is in the shop (or will be tomorrow) due to focusing malfunctions. You'll just have to trust me on this one. =)
You may be asking why I chose pickled beets and applesauce. I have a great answer. Yesterday I went down to Redlands and joined a co-op of sorts to get cheap, fresh, organic produce. I had seen this online and went down to check it out. It's pretty cool and inexpensive. Every week is different but this week I got:
4 apples
4 pears
7 beets (hence the canned beets)
1 coconut
1 head of romaine lettuce
7 bananas
4 shitake mushrooms
2 yams
2 avacados
ginger root
1 container of sprouts
2 onions
2 zucchini
6 carrots
All organic and all for $22! I thought that was awesome! The lady in front of me in line said that she had priced everything she got one week to prices at Henry's. Her savings at this co-op was 36%.
With all this fun produce I ended up not only canning, but making Chicken Tortellini Soup and Beef Stew. Both were very tasty. (And my family will back me up on that)
Recipes to follow.
Love, Farmer Lana
PS. I still plan on growing my own produce. This is just tying my organic needs over until spring. Thank you.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment